Saturday, January 1, 2011

Best of 2010

I know.  Trite.  But I think the new year serves as the perfect moment to revisit the best moments of the previous year.  After all, reflection is a crucial component of progression.  The latter half of 2010, the year of the pilgrimage, has been frequently chronicled in this blog.  I strive to make this list concise and non-redundant but apologize in advance for the repetition.

My 35th birthday.  Mom, Aunt Melanie, Aunt Debbie, Tessa, Nicole, Meggan, Catherine, and Amanda came to Georgia from Missouri to celebrate--the first and last shindig all of them would attend at my Georgia home.  Stephanie and Sabrina, my best Georgia gal pals (as well as Sabrina's sister, Robin) also attended.  A limo.  Libations.  Dueling pianos.  Singing.  Dancing.  Laughing.  Girls' Night at its finest.

April Fool's Day.  On this day, I got my acceptance letter for the NEH course of study at Yale.  "Over the moon" mildly describes my reaction.  When I texted the news to my family, both of my brothers and two cousins thought it part of some elaborate AFD joke.  Joke was on them.

Accepting a job in Missouri.  If you know me well, you know the soul searching that went into my decision to return to the state of my youth.  While I have not completely acclimated to the changes--and being a creature of strongly ingrained habit and ritual, the sense of home will come slowly--the job with Jefferson City Public Schools sinews me to this place.

Yale.  Sorry, reader, to bore you yet again with this topic, but it goes without saying that my six weeks at Yale were the highlight of 2010.  For reasons too numerous discuss, especially since I have discussed them ad nauseum in the past several months, Yale exceeded my expectations in every possible way (except for the food; the food was insanely expensive).  Above all else, Yale taught me that I have the mental fortitude for a doctoral program.  Now I have to find the time to actually pursue one...

Saucy Wench's Words.  When I find the time to pursue a doctorate, I also want time to blog (or some other form of writing) more frequently.  I find blogging cathartic (even though the perfectionist in me reviews and rewrites each sentence tediously and meticulously, meaning it's very time consuming).  I truly enjoy writing, though I sometimes feel like the words are whispers in the wind.  While I write for myself--as a public dialogue of personal ideas so to say--, I get giddy when you leave a comment.  Are you familiar with the Love Languages?  My love language--words of affirmation (aka: your comments)--lets me know the blog touched you in some manner.  So I implore you, faithful reader, to leave a comment when the fancy strikes.

Braden.  He's my favorite thing of every year.  Enough said...

What are your favorite moments from 2010?  (Like how I tricked you into commenting?)

3 comments:

Mom said...

List of the Best of 2010

Darcy and Braden moved home. 
Completed Doctorate.
Spent lots of time with Michael. 
Tessa met Matt. 
Saw Jimmy Buffet, 311, and the St. Louis Symphony.
Read lots of books for pleasure. 
Got Thor out of jail. 
Learned to tweet. 
Got an iPad. 
Joined a gym. 
Became consummate dog sitter. 
Best of 2010

Unknown said...

Glad to see Yale made the list. I say the time to start work on that PhD is now. Any programs nearby?

Unknown said...

Of course Yale made the list. Sadly, the Whitney did not....

There are several caliber colleges in the next town over, including the one where I got my undergrad. My next move is to decide if we're going to stay in this area or move closer to St. Louis. Once that decision is solidified, PhD programs are next on the list!

Followers