Sunday, November 14, 2010

When I grow up, part one

Pro skateboarder (or X gamer) like Tony Hawk.  A pianist like Billy Joel and Ben Folds.  A base and electric guitarist.  A teacher.  An Olympic swimmer better than Michael Phelps.  A magician.  A special agent for NCIS (but a real one, not an actor like Michael Weatherly).  A soldier in the Navy.  President of the United States.  An inventor like Phineas and Ferb.  A singer, dancer, and song writer like Michael Jackson and Justin Timberlake.

Aside from magician, this list of things Braden wants to be when he grows-up are consistent with his talents and interests.  With the exception of a newly discovered love of skateboarding, Braden has long voiced his interest in these careers.  (Yes, he's only 8, but he's wanted to be President of the United States since he was 4.)  The shows we watch on television, the books we read, and the vacations we take are often influenced by these pursuits.  As his mom, I don't see these announcements for his future as fleeting fancies and eagerly await his future, grown-up job.

But his varied interests prompted me to reflect on my childhood aspirations for "when I grow-up".  As far back as my memory serves, I have wanted to be two things:  a teacher and a mom.  No bold decrees about my future as a fighter pilot or aerospace engineer; instead, my desires to teach and mother stood simple, solid, and resolute.  Aside from a shift from early childhood education to secondary English education and a current longing to get my doctorate and move from high school teacher to college professor, my vision has remained steadfast.

However, Braden's battery of options and hopes and talents made me question myself.  What does it say about me that I've only had two career aspirations during my life, even during my childhood days when my imagination could have encouraged anything?  In search of the answer to this question, I did what every self-respecting 35 year-old woman does--I called my mom.  My mom, like moms are supposed to, alleviated my worry:

"Knowing so certainly what you wanted is a gift," she said.  "Many people spend years finding their niche.  You were fortunate to know and to heed it.  I always wanted to teach, too, but people told me I was too smart, that I should be a lawyer or a doctor or something else.  And believing that, that I was too smart to be a teacher, led me down the wrong path for many years.  Smart people can be teachers, should be teachers--people like you and Travis [my brother] and me.  And for the really good teachers, the ones who do it right, it's the hardest job a person can have.  It's perfectly okay that it's all you ever wanted."

And so, when I grow-up, I want to be a teacher, just like my mom and my brother and both of my dads and Stephanie Tatum and my Chaucerians (and a long list of other smart people I know who are teachers).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I wanted to be a teacher as far back as second grade. Also a lawyer, a doctor, a missionary, a movie director, a novelist, an astronaut and an actor.

"Too smart to be a teacher." Did someone need a slap?

Stephanie Tatum said...

My mom says I was teaching as soon as I came into this world. I remember playing "school" with neighborhoods kids and actually teaching them to read.

My father used to say I was too smart to teach, so I just told him that he was too dumb to understand that teaching was a smart job!

Unknown said...

Very nice blog. Here's what I wanted to be, in chronological order.

1. Stand up comedian
2. Baseball player
3. Boxer
4. Rock star
5. Teacher

Unknown said...

C.B., I think you should be a tour guide in your next life.

Stephanie, your mom, like mine, birthed mostly teachers. They are great women, if you ask me.

Mr. Brame, thank you. I've been mulling it for awhile; I'm glad I got the voice right. Are you doing any shows during the Christmas break? I really want to see you in rock star mode.

Followers